Heaton Road Surgery
Welcome to the Practice’s Publication Scheme as required by the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
This Publication Scheme is a complete guide to the information routinely made available to the public by Heaton Road Surgery. It is a description of the information about our General Practitioners and Practice which we make publicly available. It will be reviewed at regular intervals and we will monitor its effectiveness.
How much does it cost?
The publications are all free unless otherwise indicated within each Class with £. Where information is provided at a cost the charges will be calculated as set out in Class 7.
How is the information made available?
The information within each Class is available in hard copy from: The Patient Services Manager, Heaton Road Surgery, 17-19 Heaton Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 1SA
Your rights to information
- The Freedom of Information Act 2000 recognises that members of the public have the right to know how public services are organised and run, how much they cost and how the decisions are made.
- From 1 January 2005 it will oblige the General Practice to respond to requests about information that it holds, and is recorded in any format and it will create a right of access to that information. These rights are subject to some exemptions which have to be taken into consideration before deciding what information it can release.
- In addition to being able to obtain the information identified in the Publication Scheme, you are also entitled to request information about our general Practice under the NHS Openness Code 1995.
- Under Data Protection legislation, you are also entitled to access your medical records or other personal information held about you.
- New environmental information regulations may be introduced as early as 2003. These will enable similar access to environmental information as that provided under the Freedom of Information Act 2000
If you have any comments about the operation of the Publication Scheme, or how we have dealt with your request for information from the Scheme, please write to: The Patient Services, Manager, Heaton Road Surgery, 17-19 Heaton Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 1SA
CLASSES OF INFORMATION
All information at the practice is held, retained and destroyed in accordance with NHS guidelines.
Our commitment to publish information excludes any information which can be legitimately withheld under the exemptions set out in the NHS Openness Code or Freedom of Information Act 2000. Where individual classes are subject to exemptions, the main reasons include the protection of commercial interests or the protection of personal information under the Data Protection Act 1998. This applies to all classes within the Publication Scheme.
The information made available under this Scheme is grouped into seven broad categories:
- Who we are
Details of the practice, organisational structures, key personnel and how we fit into the NHS.
We have a General Medical Services contract with Newcastle & Gateshead Clinical Commissioning Group, Riverside House, Goldcrest Way, Newcastle Upon Tyne NE15 8NY
The Practice aims to follow National Institute for Health & Care Excellence (NICE) and National Service Framework guidelines. Copies of these can be found on the NICE website (www.nice.org.uk) or the Department of Health website (www.doh.gov.uk).
The NHS is a very large part of the public sector. It is possible to find out information about our practice, the Newcastle & Gateshead Clinical Commissioning Group and other NHS services in your area by using www.nhs.uk. A full list of General Practices can be found on there too.
Heaton Road Surgery is a partnership of General Medical Practitioners able to provide general medical services to people residing within the Newcastle upon Tyne postcode areas: NE1 (east of the central motorway, not the city centre) NE2, NE6 and NE7
The Practice employs part-time salaried general practitioners. We are also a GP Training Practice for Northumbria Vocational Training Scheme for General Practice. Qualified doctors are employed by the practice on a temporary basis, usually six months, to gain experience and training in general practice.
The Practice employs the following staff to support the General Practitioners:
- Operations Manager
- Patient Services Manager
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Receptionists
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner and Practice Nurse
- Health Care Assistants
Attached to our Practice are a number of staff employed by Newcastle & Gateshead Clinical Commissioning Group and Newcastle Hospitals NHS Trust:
- District Nurse
- Community Staff Nurse
- Health Visitors
- Community Midwife
- Mental Health Worker
- Primary care navigator
- Social Prescribing Link Worker
Further information can be found in our Practice Leaflet and on our Practice website http://heatonroadsurgery.nhs.uk/
- Our Services
The range of services we provide under contract to the NHS.
Under General Medical Services we provide the following essential services:
- Management of patients who are ill, or believe themselves to be ill, from conditions for which recovery is generally expected, for the duration of that condition, including relevant health promotion and referral as appropriate, reflecting patient choice wherever practicable.
- General management of patients who are terminally ill.
- Management of chronic disease in discussion with the patient.
We also offer the following services:
- Anticoagulant monitoring
- Baby Clinic
- Cervical Cytology Screening
- Child Health Surveillance
- Childhood immunisations
- Contraceptive Services
- District Nurse
- Flu vaccinations
- GP support to nursing and residential homes
- Maternity Medical Services (excluding intra partum care)
- Prostrate cancer service
- Specialised services to people with learning disabilities
- Specialised services to people with multiple sclerosis
- Specialised services to people with depression
- Specialised services to people with diabetes
- Vaccinations & Immunisations
- Services to homeless people
- NHS health checks
More information can be found on our website http://heatonroadsurgery.nhs.uk/
or in our practice leaflet which is available from reception. Included in our practice leaflet is the following:
- Our practice address
- Our opening and closing times
- The arrangements we have for out of hours cover
- The languages we speak and the availability of translators
- The names, qualifications and clinical interests of our doctors
- Details of other supporting staff
- Financial and funding information
Funding details and charging policies
Heaton Road Surgery receives money from Newcastle & Gateshead CCG according to its contract in exchange for services provided for patients.
The total income received from the NHS before expenses for the year ending 30th September 2019 was £807,863. The sum spent on drugs prescribed by our clinical staff for 2019-20 as at Dec 19 was 808,604
There may be circumstances where material cannot be released because it is confidential or commercial information or the appropriate officer designated for these purposes under the Act has taken the view that it may be prejudicial to the conduct of the Practice’s affairs.
Regular publications and information for the public
Guidance and information leaflets
Information leaflets relating to the clinical services that we provide for patients and the public, and our range of regular publications are freely available in our waiting room, from the reception desk or from the doctor/nurse/health visitor etc.
Alternatively please contact: The Patient Services Manager, Heaton Road Surgery, 17-19 Heaton Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 1SA
Policies, procedures and contacts for complaints
We operate a practice complaints procedure as part of the NHS system for dealing with complaints. You can obtain a copy of our complaints procedure at the reception desk, or from our website http://heatonroadsurgery.nhs.uk/ or by writing to the Patient Services Manager at the address above.
- Our policies and procedures
General policies and procedures in use within the practice. These include (but are not restricted to) the following and are included within the publication scheme free of charge :
- Data Protection & Security Policy Data Protection, & Security policy & protocol
- Violent, Aggressive or Abusive Patient Policy Policy for dealing with violent, aggressive or abusive patients
- Patient DNA Removal Policy
- This Publication Scheme
In this class we will publish any changes we make to this Publication Scheme, the criteria on which our information management policies are made and a referral point for all enquires regarding information management generally at the practice. We will also publish any proposed changes or additions to publications already available.
Cost of Information
Some information is available free, but for others there may be a nominal charge to cover costs if you require a hard copy of information. The charges will vary according to how the information is made available.
Charges are as follows:
- Via the Practice Website – Free of charge, although any charges for Internet Service provider and personal printing costs would have to be met by the individual.
- If you do not have internet access, a single print-out as on the website can be obtained by applying in writing to: The Patient Services Manager, Heaton Road Surgery, 17-19 Heaton Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 1SA (The practice charge 30 pence per sheet and the cost of postage
- Multiple copies or archived copies of documents which are no longer available on the web, will attract a charge for the retrieval, photocopy, postage etc. We will let you know the cost and charges that will have to be paid in advance. We will not provide printouts of other organisation’s websites.
- Leaflets and brochures about our services eg. Practice Leaflet – free of charge for single copies. (see item c above for multiple copies).
The charges will be reviewed regularly.
Information commissioner https://ico.org.uk
Freedom of Information website https://www.england.nhs.uk/contact-us/foi/
Code of Practice under Section 45 FOI Act 2000 https://ico.org.uk/
Code of Practice under Section 46 FOI Act 2000 https://ico.org.uk/
Material available through this Publication Scheme is subject to the General Practice’s copyright unless otherwise indicated. Unless expressly indicated to the contrary, it may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium provided it is done so accurately in a manner that will not mislead. Where items are re-published or copied to others, you must identify the source and acknowledge copyright status. This permit does not extend to third party material, accessed through the scheme. For HMSO Guidance Notes see www.hmso.gov.uk/guides.htm